The last time I was in New York City was eight years ago. That seems impossible. There was a period in my life when I was in and out of the city every six months.
Even before the possibility of the Rizzoli bookstore signing I had decided to go because of a friend’s invitation to an International Women’s Day luncheon at the United Nations. I’ve never been inside the United Nations and, if you read the second paragraph of my save-the-date letter below you’ll see why the event will be interesting and ever so glamorous.
I’m very excited as you can imagine. I’m staying with a friend whose apartment is nicely situated for, if not shopping, major window gazing. I’m leaving this afternoon and returning to Chicago Monday morning and every second of my New York time is planned out with friends.
Even though the book signing is a no go, I think I’ll visit the Rizzoli flagship store for the last time before it’s torn down and perhaps buy Ella Madeleine a couple of French children’s books.
|Chanel’s Bikini Rose nail polish.|
While I’m typing this I’m intermittently painting my fingernails in Chanel’s Bikini Rose. Fashion tip: If you’re really, really careful you can give yourself a manicure and type between nail polish coats — the ultimate in multitasking.
This is the save-the-date invitation:
We will be celebrating the International Women’s Day over an exclusive luncheon to be held at the United Nations Headquarters in New York on March 7, 2014.
To celebrate its 4th Success for Progress luncheon, gathering of social entrepreneurs and global CEOs from the Luxury and Lifestyle world, Ohana & Co. is pleased to partner with the United Nations office for Partnerships and its corporate luxury and media partners. We have invited prominent leaders and entrepreneurs to share with us their success and impact to advance the Millenium development Goals:
We are honored that the following speakers have confirmed their attendance so far (list to be completed):
- Ms. Phumzile Mlambo Ngcuka, UN Under-Secretary General and Executive Director of UN women (Former Vice President of South Africa)
- Ms. Wen Zhou, co-founder of Philip Lim
- Ms. Jeanette Chang, International President of Harper’s Bazaar
- Ms. Heidi Middleton, co-founder of Sass and Bide
- Ms. Emily Hwang, Vice President of the Asian Couture Federation and philanthropist
- Ms. Lisa Lovatt Smith, Woman of the Year Clarins 2013
- Ms. Abigail Katzman, in honor of her late mother Shulamit Katzman for Larger than Life
- Ms. Corinne Evens, founder of Goralska and philanthropist
Following the luncheon, we would also like to invite you to join our thematic roundtables on:
- Inclusive Business practices in the Luxury Sector
Creative sustainable models that include the poor in the business process – as producers or consumers
- Natural Beauty
The new cosmetic trends towards Natural and Healthy ingredients. The upcoming branch
- The Role of Fashion and Luxury in Women’s Empowerment and Children’s Education
- Empathy: Caring for each other in a competitive world
We look forward to welcoming you to the UN.
You see why I couldn’t resist? Until next week then. . .